How should I book?
- Direct via our website - Rates & Availability - best deal guaranteed
- By telephoning 03 5687 1469.
- Via an online agent like Booking.com, Stayz, Airbnb etc. NB: you may either pay more or miss out on extras that are only included for direct bookings - the BEST deal is to book direct.
How far is it to?
Wilsons Prom Entrance – 5 minutes to the National Park Gate
Fish Creek – 18.5km – 15 minutes
Foster – 23km – 20 minutes
Tidal River – 36km – 30 minutes
Sandy Point – 20.5km – 20 minutes
How long will it take me to get there?
Assuming you travel at the 100km/hr speed limit on country roads, it will take you about 2.5 hours from Melbourne (3 hours from the airport) or 3 hours from Lakes Entrance or just over 1 hour from Phillip Island. NB: GPS systems are not always accurate for this area. Either follow the directions written on your booking confirmation or program your GPS to the centre of the town (Yanakie) and you will come close to us, then look out for the general store. Using our exact address in your satellite navigation system may send you several kilometres off course.
How do I get the keys to my cabin?
We, Sean and Angela - the owners , live on the property. When you arrive, come into the office, attached to the main house to check-in and pick up your key. We appreciate if you could advise a rough ETA so we know when to expect you. Occasionally, we are unable to be here, if this is the case for your arrival we will contact you (and/or leave a sign on the office door) with instructions and a code to access the key-safe.
Do you do specials?
Our seasonal specials and deals can be found here: Promhills Specials & Deals
Why do you give away free breakfast, wine & chocolates with every direct booking?
Bookings or enquiries that come to us via a third party website (like Wotif.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Stayz etc) or travel agents, cost us up to 25% in commission. If you book direct through us, we do not have this expense so we choose to give this back to our direct booking guests by way of free inclusions. We want to offer guests who book directly with us the best deal possible, however, Online Travel Agents (Wotif.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz) demand "rate parity agreements" so we can not discount bookings that are made direct, however, we can offer non-rate based extras. We hope you choose to book either via this website or over the phone with us so you can get the best overall value for your stay
Are there views?
All of the cabins have amazing 180 degree panoramic views. They all look over farmland to the hills of Wilsons Promontory. The view constantly changes every day as the light and clouds move over the mountains.
Are the alpacas friendly?
Feel free to approach the fences, if they do not want to be touched they will move away. They will probably even pose for your camera. Don't lean too close into their faces or you may get a surprise spit!
Can I go in the paddocks with the alpacas/sheep/cows?
As animals can be unpredictable with strangers, guests are not permitted to go through any fences or gates without either Sean or Angela present. You can, however, approach the fences and (if the animals permit you to) you can pat them. If you have any left over bread, the sheep love it as a treat.
Can I bring my pet?
Sorry, we do not accept pets under any circumstances for many reasons, not limited to but, including: pet hair and allergies of future guests. Also, pets are not permitted into Wilsons Promontory National Park, therefore your pet would need to remain on the property. Your pet can not stay inside the cabin as it is against health regulations and your pet can not stay outside the cabin because our alpacas chase (and potentially harm) dogs. There are boarding kennels/catteries located nearby at Somerset Kennels in Fish Creek or Catterlodge in Foster or Heather's Boarding Cattery and Kennels in Leongatha if you are not able to make alternate arrangements to leave your pets at home.
What time is check-in?
Check-in is after 2pm. For earlier check in, we are bound by previous guests to determine when your cabin will be ready and generally will not know what time that may be until the morning of your arrival, after previous guests have checked out and your cabin has been cleaned. If your cabin is ready early and you have provided an Australian mobile phone number, we will SMS you as soon as your cabin is ready for you and you may be able to check-in early. The only way to guarantee an early check-in is to add the previous night to your booking.
What time is check-out?
Check-out is strictly before 10am, to enable us to have the cabin ready by check in time for the next guests. Late check-outs may be available upon request (if no-one is arriving into your cabin on the same day). Allowing a late checkout generally means we will not be able to rent that cabin that night so a fee of $25 per hour, or part thereof, will be charged. Therefore, late check-outs are subject to availability; enquire at the office the day before your departure. The only way to guarantee a late check out is to add another night to your stay.
Is Wifi available?
YES!! FREE wifi is available in all cabins and public areas using your own smart phone, tablet or laptop. You'll be given an access code on check-in
Is linen provided?
Yes, all sheets, pillows and pillow cases, towels, hand towels, face washers, bath matt, doonas, doona covers, tea towel etc are included.
Are the cabins serviced?
The cabins are self contained. We offer a mid-stay service (linen change, bathroom & kitchen clean & consumables top up etc) if you are staying for more than 7 nights.
What makes the tents eco?
They are powered by solar power, serviced with rainwater and they are designed to meet world heritage area standards, meaning the structures will not leave a footprint on the earth when they are removed.
Can you provide a cot for my baby?
We can provide a cot and/or high chair free of charge. When you book, just add to the comments section if you require a cot (with linen) or high chair. However, make sure to include your baby in your booking, babies DO count as people for bookings and must be included.
Is there mobile phone service?
Yes, if you are with Telstra or Optus. Vodafone is very patchy and limited. Vodafone will start to work reliably at about Loch (about an hour from us on the way back to Melbourne). If you are with Vodafone don't have service but need to make a call, there is a public telephone booth located out the front of the General Store. Vodafone smart phones can connect to our wifi, so you will not be uncontactable. However, a lot of people choose to 'switch off' while they are here to fully relax!
What are the cooking facilities in the cabins and tents?
Every Cabin has a two-burner cook top, an electric BBQ, microwave, small fridge/freezer, coffee machine, kettle, toaster. The Eco Tents have a gas BBQ with side wok burner, microwave, full size fridge/freezer, coffee machine, kettle & toaster. All accommodation is stocked with pots, pans, crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils.
Is there a laundry?
Not on the property, but Foster has a Laundromat, across the road from the pub. Every cabin does have a washing line to hang and dry your beach towels and swimming gear.
What is your cancellation/payment policy?
- This cancellation policy is for direct bookings only. Third party website bookings, travel agent bookings or voucher bookings may have a different cancellation and/or payment policy, refer to your third party booking confirmation letter.
- 50% deposit will be taken to confirm your booking and balance is due 7 days prior to arrival. If you book within 7 days of arrival, payment will be taken in full at the time booking. For travel agent bookings, 50% deposit, then the balance 30 days prior to arrival, full payment at time of booking if arriving within 30 days.
- Cancellations with more than 30 days notice – 25% fee
- Cancellations with less than 30 days but more than 7 days notice – 50% fee
- Cancellations with 7 days or less notice – 100% fee
- Making an enquiry is not a booking and we reserve the right to confirm bookings to the first person to complete a deposit payment, regardless of who enquired first.
- $50 administration fee applies to changes/cancellations to any confirmed booking
- Date changes are only permitted with more than 30 days notice (admin fee applies). ONE date change per booking is permitted, then cancellation applies.
- $10 admin fee will be charged if the card you have given us declines and we need to contact you to seek alternate payment method and then re-process your payment(s)
- Credit card security & photo ID is required upon check in. PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to use a debit card (even if it has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it) we may require either a credit card be provided on check-in or a refundable security bond to be taken from the debit card.
- We strongly recommend travel insurance to cover you for any unforeseen circumstances
- Unfortunately, very rarely, circumstances beyond our control mean that we may need to cancel a booking. If this happens, we will refund you 100% and assist you with the contact details of alternate accommodation providers.
- We do not accept pets under any circumstances. Bringing your pet may result in additional cleaning fees and/or your booking being forfeited or cancelled, booking conditions will still apply
- Bringing more people than your confirmation letter states (including babies and children) may result in additional charges and/or cancellation of your booking, cancellation policy still applies. If you falsify your booking and arrive with more people than you booked for, we have no choice but to cancel your booking if the additional person/people breaches our maximum occupancy permits.
- Promhills Cabins property is for the exclusive use of our guests ONLY. Day visitors are only allowed with owner's permission, extra conditions and a charge for day visitors may apply. Please discuss with us if you are planning to have family or friends visit you at Promhills Cabins during your stay.
- By confirming a booking and paying a deposit, you agree you accept our terms & conditions and authorise us to charge your credit card for any additional charges or damage caused to Promhills Cabins property (including smoking inside the cabins, extra guests, day visitors, theft, damage, late departure, excessive cleaning).
We collect personal information, for example your email address, where you have provided it to us. We will at all times keep your details private and secure. We do not pass on/sell/swap any of your personal details with anyone. We do not keep a record of the IP addresses from which users access our site.
How many people can stay in a cabin/tent?
The studio cabin sleeps 2 people only (no babies or children permitted in this cabin).
Our one bedroom cabins can sleep a maximum of 3 people per cabin, including children regardless of age.
The glamping eco tents sleep a maximum of 2 adults + 1 child (under the age of 10).
We are legally bound by the conditions of our accommodation providers license which governs the number of people that can stay in each cabin and on the property at any one time so legally we can not exceed this. These maximum occupancy numbers count for ALL people, including babies and children, regardless of age. If you arrive with more people than you have booked for (including babies), if we can accommodate you there will be an additional charge for the extra person, however, unfortunately, if you bringing an additional person exceeds our maximum occupancy for the accommodation you have booked and there are no other cabins available, we may have to cancel your booking as we can legally not exceed our maximum numbers, cancellation policy still applies and your booking will be treated as a last minute cancellation and the booking will need to be paid for in full, you will then need to seek accommodation elsewhere. We are sorry, but we will not break the law to accommodate you if you have falsified your booking and arrive with more people than you have booked for.
Can I hire a DVD?
We have DVDs available to borrow (for free) in the office, or the Yanakie General Store has recent releases for hire. There are DVD players and large flat screen TV's in every cabin.
What does the Yanakie General Store sell and what are their opening hours?
The shop (just a few minutes walk from your cabin) sells fuel, grocery items, alcohol, daily newspapers, coffee, fishing licenses. They do bacon and egg muffins for breakfast every day and takeaway fish and chips (fresh locally caught fish) every Thursday night, some long weekends and during peak summer season. They are open from 8am. Most of the year they close at 6pm, however, this is extended during busy times, summer (Thursday fish & chip nights, is 7pm close).
Where can I get dinner?
The menus for the restaurants we recommend and frequent are in the information book in each cabin. Alternatively, the Yanakie General Store sells enough food items to self cater or their fish and chips on a Thursday are fantastic! Visit our things to do in Prom Country page for contact details and websites of local restaurants and cafes.
If we go out for dinner, should I make a reservation?
Definitely, to avoid disappointment, especially if it is a long weekend, Saturday night or during school holidays.
Where is the best place for a swim?
Norman Bay at Tidal River, Squeaky Beach or Waratah Bay are great swimming beaches. Waratah Bay is the best beach for kids (park near the playground/BBQ’s and walk over the boat ramp for easy access). In cold weather, Leongatha’s heated indoor pool is open all year and is 35 minutes drive. Foster and Toora also have great outdoor heated public swimming pools that are open during the summer months.
Do you do gift vouchers?
Sure do! You can either purchase a gift voucher for a set dollar amount or a number of nights or we can design a package just for you that may include breakfast, wine, chocolates or other goodies. We can either email your voucher, if you've left it to the last minute, or mail it discretely with area brochures included.
What environmental initiatives do you undertake?
We live amongst such a beautiful natural environment and we endeavour to have a positive impact on it by implementing a range of environmental practises.
- We have installed solar panels which provide electricity to our property, any additional electricity purchased comes from 100% Australian owned company who are a provider of clean, renewable energy
- Our rainwater collection tanks provide water for the cabins and grounds
- Our glamping Eco Tents have been built according to world heritage standards, meaning they are designed not leave a footprint on the earth when they are removed
- Our gardens consist of a variety of local vegetation to encourage native birdlife
- We grow a lot of our own produce (meat and fruit), if you are here in the right season you can pick and enjoy our apples, pears, nectarines, avocados and much more
- We have a glass, tin, paper, plastic recycling program in use
- We collect guest's used soap and donate it to Soap Aid so they can recycle it into new soaps and send it to communities in need
- We use locally sourced products wherever possible
- We use biodegradable cleaning products and consumables in the cabins
- We use energy efficient lighting
- We encourage the use of natural cooling and the cabins are positioned perfectly to receive the sea breeze, eliminating the need for air conditioning
- All our grey water and septic waste is treated onsite
- Linen that is washed onsite is line dried
- Our cabins are self contained and serviced after each stay or mid-stay if you stay longer than 7 days, allowing for a linen/towel reuse program to eliminate unnecessary chemicals entering the environment
- Power points are switched off when cabins are cleaned between guests, so if you find the TV or heater won't work, check the power point
- We recycle old appliances and furniture by donating them to charity when cabins are refurbished or upgraded
Do you support any charities?
- We give our guests who book direct via our website the opportunity to add $2 to their booking. We add the donations up at Easter time and match our guests donations dollar for dollar and donate the amount to the Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal.
- We collect guest's used soap and donate it to Soap Aid so they can recycle it into new soaps and send it to communities in need
- We regularly support various groups including Diabetes Australia, Leukaemia Foundation, Cancer Council, local schools and community groups throughout the year.
- We do regular volunteer work for several non-profit organisations, including Country Fire Authority (CFA), Prom Country Regional Tourism and various local organisations - the Yanakie Community Association and Yanakie Hall and Recreation Reserve Committee
Frequently Asked Questions
How should I book?